12 Days of Cookies: Day 8
Posted on December 19, 2013
A twist on a classic, it’s fruitcake in a bar.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cherry brandy or cherry juice (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted*
- 3/4 cup chopped white or dark sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped candied cherries
1.Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13×9-inch baking pan.
2.In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium speed 30 seconds. Add brown sugar; beat until well-combined. Beat in eggs, brandy, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Add flour; beat just until blended. Stir in nuts, chocolate, and cherries. Spread in prepared pan.
3.Bake 30 minutes or until golden. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut in bars. Makes 24 bars.